Out of my windows I see a little of this:
and a little of this:
No, It's not my garbage lined up nice and neatly. (I don't even drink milk...I had to ask a friend for these containers!) These are my seed starting mini-greenhouses. In case you haven't read about it before, click here to get the tutorial!


3 comments:
Will this work with tomatoes? I am tired of buying the plants from the stores...last year the tomatoes I grew were almost as tasteless as the ones you buy in the grocery store. I want to try some different varieties this year, so I know I'll need to begin growing them on my own.
I’ve done tomatoes this way many times. YES, it works! You can plant them NOW and they will come up as soon as the seed feels it is warm enough, which will not take too long if you set your containers where they get as much sun as possible. I tried an experiment one year. I planted tomato seeds in the jugs and got ready to plant them out the first of May. The seedlings weren’t very big because of the confines of the container and fluctuations of weather. At the same time, I BOUGHT some lovely good sized starts at the store. Into the garden they went...my smaller starts that had grown outdoors and the larger purchased starts which came from a greenhouse. I think you can guess what happened. My hardy, weatherized seedlings grew very quickly once they got into the garden, easily catching up to the nursery plants which took a little longer to acclimate to the garden and begin growing.
Go ahead...give it a try!
Nice! We haven't yet decided whether or not to brave growing anything in the little sections of dirt on our back patio. Mainly because all of the vegetable plants died so badly last year and all of the weeds grew SO well. But we did get some strawberries and cilantro to grow in pots out front. Hopefully we don't kill those!
Post a Comment