Spelt Flour Pita Breads
1 cup warm water
2 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt (I only used 1/2 tsp.)
1 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. Agave syrup (or honey)
2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour (so it isn't as sticky)
2 Tbsp. gluten flour (for strength and elasticity)
2 Tbsp. ground flax seed (for Omega 3's!)
Into the warm water add the yeast, salt, oil, and syrup. When the yeast begins to bubble add the dry ingredients and knead. Let rise about an hour, then divide the dough into 8 pieces. Shape into little balls then roll out each piece to about 1/4 inch and place on baking sheets. This is important: Let the circles REST about a half hour before baking. Then pop into a 450 degree oven for 7 minutes.
Not every pita will puff, but don't worry about it. The ones that don't puff make excellent flat breads for soup or even small pizza crusts. It's actually nice to have a few flat breads around for spreading yummy stuff on. :)
Here are some of my dough pieces, ready to be rolled out.
Take a peek inside my oven! Three have puffed, and the one on the left is a flat bread!
Cooled and gently flattened and ready to put into a zip lock baggie. I keep them in the refrigerator and microwave them about 10 seconds before using to take off the chill and soften them a bit. Mmmmm...good.
3 comments:
These look wonderful! You certainly have a "flour thumb" along with your green thumb!
I am very impressed!!
I didn't think about it until after I dropped off the truffles. If you guys are vegan, do you eat chocolate?
Post a Comment