I know Oregon has a reputation for being a bit more chilly than the rest of the nation, but tonight I'm not talking about the weather. Although, I have to say, we are having rather pleasant days here while everyone else across the country seems to be melting in a heat wave. Oregon is a rather "cool" place to live. :)
But this post isn't about temperatures or precipitation, it's about crochet. Specifically, Thread crochet. That's with a tiny little hook and a thread that looks like thin kite string. It's taken me a while to get the hang of it, but I was determined to learn how to make thread crochet snowflakes like my Grandma Jenny DePeel used to make. Sadly, the few snowflake ornaments I had from her did not survive a damp storage one year, but I think of her every time I make a new snowflake, so there's still a little bit of my Grandma in each one.
Aren't these pretty? The biggest one on the top left in the photo measures 5 inches across, so that gives you an idea of the size of the other ones. After crocheting a snowflake, I saturate it in a glue/water mixture, pin it to a foam board, sprinkle it with glitter (which doesn't show in the picture), and then wait for it to dry. There are hundreds of snowflake patterns available, so I'm doing each one different, which keeps it interesting.
Oregon's weather is actually going to heat up this week, but I'll stay "cool" producing a little snowstorm here inside. :)

1 comment:
These are so pretty. Good for you! That takes patience to learn to work with such fine thread.
Post a Comment