Tuesday, October 30, 2012

How Many Needles in a Pin Cushion?

This pin cushion is really, really old. I think it might even be an original...meaning the first one I bought as a teenager learning to sew! Older even than my Bernina!

While sewing last week I needed a needle for a quick stitch or two and gave my pin cushion a squeeze. My pin cushion is usually filled with PINS and the ocassional needle. But sometimes the needles, lacking a ball top, slip inside the cushion. Therefore, I know a good squeeze will reveal a hidden needle that I can use.

After finding one quickly, and doing the stitchery needed, I paused to wonder how many needles might be hidden, so I removed the pins and began squeezing and kneading....who would have known? LOOK how many needles I found embedded in this old pin cushion!! I wonder how old they are? What projects were they used for in the past? If only they could tell.

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Made me smile :)

(Who ever guessed we'd turn into these grandmas with stories and questions like these???)

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Nice. :)