Thursday, November 6, 2008

Book vs. Movie

The book wins! (No surprise there.)

A few years ago I read The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas. It was very well written and a compelling story. I've thought of it often, and so when I saw the 1953 movie version of it on DVD at the library, I decided to bring it home and watch it. Well...it was pretty to look at...the scenery, the pageantry and costumes...I imagine they must have spent a lot of money making the film, which included some BIG names: Richard Burton and Victor Mature. However, Hollywood seems to have taken the basic idea from the book and then re-written it. The movie was more of a curiosity and lacked most of the strength of the original material. But I'll bet that some people sought for the book version after seeing the movie...and they would have been well rewarded. :)

No comments: