Saturday, March 7, 2009

4,680 Miles!! (Give or Take)



I did the math today: (6 years times 3 miles a day times 5 days a week...average) and discovered that my friend Linda and I have walked 4,680 miles together in the mornings over the past 6 years. We've covered a lot of territory in our neighborhood as well as our lives. Every day we grumbled out of bed to climb up hills and down them again, through dark winter mornings and sunlit summer ones, rain or shine, and even a little ice and snow. Not much stopped us from our appointed rounds! (Except for a vacation trip now and then!) Much has happened in our lives and the lives of our families in the last 6 years and we shared our joys and concerns with each step. We talked about gardening a lot, too!

Why bring this up? Linda has moved to Gresham, and morning walks together are not going to be an option any longer. Today she gave me one of the birdbaths from her old home. How appropriate. When I look into the yard and see this birdbath amongst my flower gardens (there will be flowers, I promise!), I will think of her and all the ground we covered with good conversation, a listening ear, laughter, and friendship. We'll still see each other ocassionally...just not at 7 am. I will miss that very much.

I'll still be walking, however. A few years ago another friend, Paulene, joined us and as far as I know, she isn't planning to move anytime soon. Thank goodness!

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Linda has moved to Gresham??!! When did this happen? I'm so sad that Clardy's have finally had to move away - I had hoped that something else would work out - oh, I am so sad.