Yes, I do know that it's the middle of August...even though it sort of feels like June, without the rain. It has hardly rained at all for several weeks, which is nice, and our days are pleasant: 70-80 degrees or so. Haven't had a single 90 degree day yet.
Anyway, we finally finished the cinder block raised garden beds, and I wanted to see how an Autumn garden would do. I chose mostly cool-weather, fast maturing vegetables, and given that we live in the Pacific Northwest, and our frosts usually don't hit until October, or maybe even later, I think it will be just fine.
I'm wondering...since we haven't had a "summer" yet, will it stay above freezing longer than usual? Will we have a warmer than usual Fall? So I planted White bunching onions, broccoli, beets, (for their greens and the root), spinach, carrots, edible pod bush peas, and for good measure a yellow summer squash. The last one is pushing it a little...they generally like warmer weather, but it matures in 45 days, so I might have a chance.
I thought about planting lettuce, but I realize that we don't usually eat lettuce. When we want greens we generally have spinach, or Kale. I would have planted Kale, but the seeds I like best weren't available at the store yesterday. Oh well. I still have some growing up on the back porch in my grow box. (The last of that seed packet.) It has a thinner leaf that is much more delicate than the kind usually found at the stores, and so good to use even on sandwiches. It's called "Red Russian" (even though it's not red), and it's sweet and doesn't get bitter. I use it cooked as a side dish, and fresh in a recipe for... guess what? Kale Pesto. Very yummy in pasta dishes.
Wish me luck with my garden. I wonder how the deer will like it? (We're brainstorming ways to protect it.)


2 comments:
Ooh, nice start to your garden Dorothy. Knowing you, I'm sure it will all be wonderful. :)
Keep us posted! I love the look of the new beds.
Post a Comment