Thursday, August 25, 2011

A New Season

Summer isn't over yet, but getting close. I'm feeling thoughtful tonight about changing seasons, so I walked through the yard to take a few photos of what is happening out there now, and to have something to look at as I think about changes in our lives.

This rose is About Face. After spending three years serving at the Young Single Adult Program and the Temple, it's time to turn back towards home. We were released from YSA and have been warmly welcomed back into our home Ward, which is actually a different Ward than the one we left since the boundary lines have changed. It still feels like home, though, and we are happy to be there and will get to know new faces as well as mingle with those we have known for years.

My garden is coming up! Here's the broccoli, looking excited about the opportunity to grow in the cooler fall season that is approaching. Yes, I'll need to get in and thin them, as well as the beets, carrots, and spinach that are also coming up in bunches. Ken and I have accepted new callings and responsibilities in our lives, so we have sadly had to do a little thinning ourselves. After almost 4 years of serving as Ordinance Workers in the Temple we have had to accept the fact that we can't do it all. There are now too many conflicts, and we have asked to be released from our Tuesday night shift. For Now. This has been the most wonderful opportunity for us and we LOVED serving in the Temple regularly, so we intend to return to that one day.

Here's a perky little dianthus. One of only a couple blooms on the whole plant, but it's because the deer have tasted it a few too many times, and it's in the shade most of the day, too. Not the best place for a dianthus.

Here are the happy Rudbeckia Goldsturm. This is THEIR favorite season, always coming faithfully into bloom in late summer and they keep going even after the maples lose their leaves. We have been asked to bloom in new callings that were offered soon after we returned from our summer adventures. Ken will once again be a Scoutmaster, and I will be serving as the Relief Society Activities Coordinator. We are both looking forward to good times ahead...notice that both of our callings are centered around "playtimes". :)

This summer squash seedling muscled it's way out of the ground only today, with two companions nearby doing the same thing. It's going to be a race to see if they can mature before the weather changes too drastically. I hope they do because I enjoy using them in my menus!

This Verbascum surprised me. It bloomed already in early summer and I cut it back to the ground, but here it is, showing off once more. I never really noticed before how much color is in each individual blossom...maybe I didn't get out in the garden to admire it much before because it was raining so much this June! There are so many surprises that come along with new seasons. Our lives have changed again, and some of our children have changes going on, too. I don't like letting go of summer, and sometimes I don't like letting go of my current comfort zone, but since the Verbascum can continue to bloom in spite of the changing seasons, so can I. So many good things ahead, and even a few surprises...I'm looking forward to it. :)

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Lovely photos. I'm always impressed with your ability to know the names of all these different plants. Thank you for the reflections on changing seasons. I have to confess I'm looking forward (a little bit) to rubbing shoulders with new students and dear colleagues again, and getting back into a routine. Oh, but it's hard to see summer go...