Tonight we had a slow-cooked 15 bean soup with tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Just before it was time to eat, I thought that cornbread would be a nice accompaniment to this lovely soup, but I didn't want to wait for it to bake. So I did what we have done a time or two before....made corn Griddle Cakes. It is simply the same recipe for cornbread that I normally use, but with only about half the liquid. Then I scoop it out onto a hot griddle and cook them like big puffy pancakes, turning them when they brown on the bottom. Only takes a few minutes and they are very satisfying.
One of the advantages to Griddle Cakes is that they don't crumble as much as baked cornbread that is sliced and served out of a square pan. These babies hold together! They are wholesome, earthy, and rather rustic, but I really enjoy them.
The caulk gun in the background is part of our table setting tonight. Ha ha! Ken, the painter, has been at his work as the soup bubbled away on the stove. We also have ladders, cardboard, drop cloths, and various paintbrushes sitting around, too. It's all good. :)



1 comment:
Mmmmm...sounds delicious! I'm going to try this. Polly gave us some corn bread mix for Christmas.
Post a Comment