Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday in South Korea

It's been a great day over here! We walked to Church and loved the feeling of being "at home" even though we are so far from home. The branch meets in a rented building with about 60 active members. Here's part of the family in front of the building. The branch uses several floors for their meetings.
 
Walking home together afterwards.
 

After lunch and a rest time for all, Grandpa and I took the three girls out for an exploring walk around town. Andrew gave us good directions so we wouldn't get lost, but I think the girls could have helped us if we got turned around. This is a photo of the 7-ll near their apartment.


Being here in South Korea feels like....just being anywhere, actually. I don't know what I was expecting to feel, but this feeling of being normal surprises me. Sure, I can't read the signs (although a few are in English), and I don't understand the language of the people around here, but they are pleasant and friendly and I am comfortable wandering around their town.

These people garden everywhere! Every little plot of land that isn't a building is used for gardening, and if there isn't a plot of land, then they are growing vegetables in all kinds of containers along the sidewalks. How smart!


Andrew directed us to explore a local earthen fortress site. Once upon a time someone had huge earthen walls built around their home as a protection. The home within fortress is gone, but the walls remain and are situated in a small park. We walked on them with the girls and had a nice view of the surrounding areas.


Sophie and Elanor walking along the top of the wall. The people around here absolutely LOVE looking at the cute blond American girls. They are simply charmed by their presence and go out of their way to watch them and giggle. (In a nice way)

 
Well, they are quite adorable. :)
 
 
Also very prominent around here is exercise equipment! There are walking paths with workout equipment everywhere! We've tried out lots of amusing ways to stay fit.


Look, it's a real rice paddy! We just had to get up close to one of the rice fields and see what the plant looks like in it's natural growing conditions. I plucked a plant top to inspect the growing rice kernals, and a couple women walked by, seemingly amused by our interest. We grinned and I told them we had never seen rice growing before, which I'm sure they didn't understand, but they smiled indulgently anyway. I wonder what they thought of us. :)

 
I've been charmed by the little Korean children around here myself. When we go to the playground with the girls they chatter happily with us, and even though we can't comprehend one another's words, the universal language of friendliness communicates very well. One little boy came up and slipped his hand into mine while softly asking me a question. When I responded with kind confusion, he simply pointed at his shoe and I understood perfectly. I re-tied his lace for him and he ran off to continue playing happily.
 
We are having a good time and are looking forward to more interesting adventures now that we have acclimated ourselves to the time changes. It is beautiful here!

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

I love the shoe-tying story. Very dear - especially that he slipped his hand into yours. Love all the green and the gardens. We used to see rice growing in the Sacramento area when I was growing up in California. Lots of rice paddies along the Sacramento River delta with all its levies.

Have fun!