Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday is Market Day

We've decided (okay, I've decided, but Ken's okay with it) that I'd like to go to Saturday's Market every weekend to purchase locally grown produce for the week. It started today and goes through October, so that's a nice long run. Today we picked up my Mom, so that after the market we could go to Canby and attend the Spring Garden Fair.

At our local market I bought spinach (we use it in all kinds of things) and in Canby I bought more herb and tomato plants. (I'm going to "hide" the tomato plants in the front yard...our deer stay in the back yard ((I think)). The herbs will go into another self-watering planter on the back deck. So far we've really enjoyed snipping and using the herbs in our recipes, and the planters are amazing. In the past month I've only had to add water once. Can't wait to see how well they last in the summer!

We saw some gorgeous plants in Canby. I couldn't help wondering about the wagon loads of beautiful trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, etc. that people were buying and pulling around with them in wagons they brought from home. How many will live? The grower has produced a wonderful plant, and who knows what kind of conditions it will be introduced to in the home gardens. One year I grew an over abundance of tomato plants and gave away the excess at Church. People were so excited to take them home! I wonder how many actually lived and produced tomatoes that year?

I have to post a picture of this beautiful Bleeding Heart that is blooming in my front yard. I am completely amazed at how fast it came out of the ground (it was bare ground before), produced leaves and then the delicate blossoms. The pictures are for me to look at, too, because this plant will only bloom for a few weeks. I know it is a quick bloomer, but I don't know if the leaves die down or it stays bushy? Guess I'll find out as the summer progresses. :)


No comments: