Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sighing at the Intersection


There's a certain intersection that I drive through a couple times a week that always has me sighing in frustration. I just want to make a simple left turn at the light onto a busier highway to head home. It's not as easy it would seem to be.

The sighing part happens because every time I want to make that left turn, the Slowest People in Town decide they need to cross the street while I am (I want to insert “patiently” here, but I'm not sure that's honest) waiting to make my left turn. The thing about that particular light is....it's too quick!! By the time our Slow People have made it across, there is barely time for the first car in that left turn lane to make their turn. Forget about the second vehicle in the lane. They get to wait while the light cycles through again. (SIGH!)

Now the thing that is a wonderment to me is that when I am making a right turn at that corner, I don't ever see the Slow People waiting to cross the street. I also don't see them when I am simply driving by. (Okay, honesty again...sometimes I see people on that corner when I'm driving by, but they look more like the Speedy kind.) Do the Slow Ones sit and wait until they know a few people will be wanting to turn left? Do they jump out of their apartments or bushes and say, “Now!” and stand casually at the corner pushing the “I want to cross the street now” button over and over just when they see potential Left Turners approach?

What are my alternatives? Well, I could turn right instead of left and then circle through some of the shopping facilities, but there are other lights and stop signs to maneuver if I do that. Or I could go west instead of east and add a few more miles to my homeward journey. (Well, it might not be true west, but my internal direction says that it is “kind of” west.) The scenery that way is a little better, I suppose.

But I don't make those choices. I always approach that intersection with a little bit of hope and think that it might be different this time. Maybe it will be the Speedy people at the corner? Ha. The best I can get is to be first car in the left turn lane. So I wait (while trying to think I would be more patient if it were MY mom who is crossing the street ((because I KNOW that she actually does cross that street sometimes(((but I think she is a little more Speedy?))), then as soon as the current Slow Ones reach the opposite side I zoom through the intersection while the light is flashing yellow and look in my rear mirror to see the cars behind me sighing. (Sorry, the cars don't sigh...just their drivers.) But I can hear them....and I sigh right along with them. And wonder why we are still zooming around in our little tin cans and thinking we have to get where we are going without delay. When will those Transporters be invented? I hope it is before I BECOME one of the Slow Ones. “So sorry to make you wait....”

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Dorothy, I had no idea. I have always admired your calm and patient attitude in life!