Friday, December 10, 2010

The Magic Window

The Magic Window is not something to look through, but it is a space of time that Paulene and I enjoy almost every day. It is the little window of time that accompanies our morning walks, and we call it "magic" because it rarely ever rains during that time. Hard to believe, I know, but it happens again and again for us. We head out on our walks, enjoying the stillness and the miracle of each new day dawning, and we rarely have to use umbrellas.

We can hear the storms all night long, yet at our scheduled time to go outdoors there is a curious calm that lasts an hour or so. Soon after, the clouds thicken again and the rain comes down in torrents and waves. Whew! We lucked out again! It's the Magic Window of Time! It makes me think that even nature herself is in awe of the brand new day and becomes still to reverence the beauty of it.

I took this photo during the Magic Window yesterday. The dark branches of these old trees looked beautiful tracing against the cloudy sky. As if the tree itself was reaching towards the heavens and announcing, "Bring it on!" They are not afraid of a little rain. :)


3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Sheesh. Between your morning walks and my mom's field trips, you two sure have control of the weather over there!

Dorothy said...

Yep.! If you can believe it, it will be. We love it!

Kathy Haynie said...

Katie's right - I have another field trip coming up on Thursday this week, so I hope the "magic window" lasts until 11:00 am that day.