Friday, July 2, 2010

Sidewalk Chalk

The girls were here yesterday morning and I was excited to introduce them to sidewalk chalk. They don't have sidewalks out in the country, so I was sure they would love the novelty of being able to write on the ground at Grandma's house. They did think it was a curious, somewhat interesting experience, but it didn't hold their attention as much as I thought it would.

Or at least it didn't hold their attention as long as it would have held mine when I was younger. Even though we didn't have sidewalk chalk when I was a little girl, I'm sure if we did I would have been so captivated by the experience that I wouldn't have stopped until the last bits of chalk crumbled under my eager fingertips.

These little ladies made exploratory marks on the ground, then the stone walls, and tried out the side of the house, too. ("No.......not the house, only the ground!") I suggested that they lay down on the sidwalk so that I could do a quick sketch around their body shapes, and they thought that was fun. (See, I did get to play with a piece of that lovely chalk!)


Mostly, though, they just enjoyed running around the yard carrying the baggie the chalks were in. We did discover, however, that the top of the little table makes a great smooth chalkboard. :) Aren't they cute!


1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

The ARE adorable. I remember Katie and Sarah playing with sidewalk chalk all over Laurel Lane - huge big drawings.