Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apples and Apertures

First, I just have to say how much I love recognizing the little "tender mercies" or coincidences that pop into our lives. Saturday I commented to Ken that it would be nice to maybe drive over to the Hood River area for some fresh autumn apples. Two days later, he came home from a Church meeting with a small bag of new apples! One of the Bishopric members had just been over to Hood River the day before and decided to bring home a few extra to share. MMMmmm, they are good!

Today I took three of these apples outside to play around with the aperture settings with and without the zoom on my camera. I think I'm "getting it"....sort of. It's going to take a lot of practice and repetition to stick in my head, though.

f/8 ISO 80


f/3.5 ISO 80


f/4.5 ISO 80


f/2.8 ISO 80

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Whoa, I get the concept. Little aperture = monster apples. Do they taste better with the smaller aperture setting?

Becky said...

Hmm, actually I'm not sure why your camera is zooming in as you change aperture... but the concept is: larger aperture (smaller number) creates a shallower depth of field. Smaller aperture (larger number) gives you a deeper field of focus.

This reminds me of my first photo class in high school.