
That's the famous first line of the classic, A Wrinkle in Time, written by Madeleine L'Engle. And did you know that book was written in 1962? I was surprised.
It wasn't dark and stormy, but I do remember reading this book out loud in a dark bedroom for many nights in a row, while the kids lay in their beds listening. I used a flashlight to illuminate the pages enough to see the words. We were all fascinated with the story of bull-headed Meg Murray and her unusual little brother Charles Wallace as they were led to rescue their father who was being held on another planet that was overshadowed by darkness. We met Calvin O'Keefe, who came along to help, and also Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which. Do you remember gentle, loving, Aunt Beast?
I must admit my own memory was fuzzy, so I found my old copy of the book this week and read the adventure once again. I enjoyed it so much that I'm starting to think that maybe re-reading the old classics might be the direction I need to go in choosing books to read. There is so much to learn!
"By the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract."
3 comments:
love this book too!
I took my class to the school library today, and while they were looking for books to choose, I browsed a bit...and ran across Wrinkle in Time! Yes, it's a dear old friend. I loved all the L'Engle books.
I love this book and my copy looks exactly like yours, complete with the "I have been loved and read often" tatters.
Post a Comment