Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Morning Hike

Today dawned so beautiful that it almost begged us to go hiking! Well, at least that's how it sounded to me. :) Luckily Ken was more than willing, and we didn't have any other committments (besides some yard work!) so we packed some organic gala apple wedges, some nuts and dried fruit, and off we went to the Columbia River Gorge.

As we begin our hike the bright sun has not even reached the woods yet. The trees and undergrowth are so calm, cool and slightly damp. We are headed to Upper McCord Creek Falls. It's not a long or strenuous hike today...just a pleasant woodsy outing.



Here's the falls. Earlier in the year it is a double falls, but as you can see it is only a single one at this stage of early autumn. Notice how the sun is beginning to brighten things?


Lots of mushrooms along the way.


And ferns!! Oh my goodness I was thrilled with the ferns today! There were new ferns growing thickly everywhere...the forest looked more like springtime than fall. So green ....so beautiful.



On the way to Elowah falls we are treated to a nice gorge overlook. I decided to focus on my hiking buddy instead of the panoramic scenery.


Ah, here it is. Basic, but pretty. On our way back up the trail we found a place to sit under the forest canopy on a plush cushion of springy green moss (that was dry) and enjoyed our snacks. Our apples were very juicy and their flavor was a perfect combination of sweet/tart without tasting "green". Very appropriate for the setting.


Almost back to the trailhead now. Look, the sun has reached us! I'm so glad we went early. We had the woods almost to ourselves all morning, and many more happy hikers were arriving just as we were leaving. What a great way to start the day.


And yes, the yardwork at home got done this afternoon. :)

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Perfect! I don't think I've been on that trail yet. Where is the trailhead?

Mark and I want to go canoeing with you and Ken in North Fork Reservoir - upstream from the marina - and bike riding along the old highway between Faraday and North Fork. Sigh...I miss summer...

Dorothy said...

Here's the link to the trailhead: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/John_B_Yeon_Trailhead

(You will need to cut and paste into your browser)

We have canoed North Fork before and it was nice. We'd enjoy going with you sometime!

I still need a bike...