Monday, October 4, 2010

Tumalo Falls Hike

About 15 miles west of Bend is a hike that begins at Tumalo Falls and continues along a creek with a whole series of waterfalls along the way. We chose to do a loop trail, so our hike was about 7.25 long. Here's part of the dirt road one travels to get to the trailhead. I just love the beginning of the autumn colors!


And this is...you guessed it....Tumalo Falls! Rather impressive, isn't it?


This overlook is at the beginning of the trail. We have only just begun the journey.


Along the way:


Hey, we get to cross the creek on a sturdy log bridge.


More falls.


And another. I'm only showing you a few of them!



Another log crossing. This bridge was built by nature, and there's no handrail. Notice the creek is flat now, which means we've reached the summit and the halfway point of our hike. It's mostly downhill from here back to the car.


But first, here's a nice place to sit and enjoy lunch!


Along the trail I was enchanted by the bright autumn foliage. I suppose it looks boring in a photograph, but it was so much fun to look at as we hiked.


Here's the last falls before we returned to the trailhead. After passing the falls we crossed through an area that was nearly overgrown with Manzanita bushes. We enjoyed our hike very much. It had enough uphill and downhill to be a good workout, and we were provided with many splendid views of the countryside as well as the unique falls along the way. The hiking weather couldn't have been better. What a great day!


3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

I am seriously in love with this place, after seeing your photos. Maybe we could go there as a day trip from Sparks Lake next summer?

Haha - I thought you were going to say that you were in love with the guy hanging out in the fall foliage. :)

Was this hike on your way to Utah?

JuliaKoponick said...

I love this place!! The kids and I went on some of the shorter hikes when we lived in Bend, and I did that loop, and the longer trail without the kids.

I don't think I ever went when the fall foliage was out, so it was fun to see a familiar trail "dressed" a little differently.

La Tea Dah said...

BEAUTIFUL! I'd like to go there someday!

LaTeaDah