Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ken's Hat

Does a man like crochet? In the case of my man, the answer would be, "not as much as you do." Understatement! Ha ha! However, he likes the pillow I made recently, and he also likes the big afghans that we snuggle with while watching a movie, but would he want to wear something crocheted? We'll see.

He didn't have a good stocking hat and I wanted to make one. Why not just go buy one? It's not a money thing, it's because....there's something deep down satisfying about being able to make something myself. Something comforting about the making and the seeing of that something worn by someone you love. It is hard to explain, but there it is. It is fulfilling somehow.

Ken chose the pattern for this hat all by himself, as well as the color. (I chose the yarn.) I learned new things in the making of this hat, including cables and front post stitches. I also learned the importance of guage and making a sample swatch. That's to see if your own yarn and hook will finish to the same size as the pattern designers. I didn't do that, and so this hat, even though it looks great, is a bit snug. Oh, he can wear it, but it should have been worked with a bigger hook to allow just a little more wiggle-room under the yarns. Live and learn as they say.
We're headed to central Oregon this weekend to inspect the repaired trailer and spend a few days enjoying the autumn scenery. The canoe is going with us for a last paddle in our favorite lake. It will be rather cool over there, so the new hat will be appreciated on this trip. It's really, really warm....I know, because I've tried it out on a couple morning walks this week when the foggy sunrises were in the 30's. :)

2 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

It looks great! Maybe next you could try one of these:

http://funnycleanvideos.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/the-beardo-beard-hat/

:)

Kathy Haynie said...

Have fun on your paddle this weekend! I'll be thinking of you. I remarked to Mark just yesterday...at 7:00 am...dark outside...that you and Paulene must be out for your walk. The hat looks great! And I agree completely about the satisfaction of making things.