I found a beautiful silk/rayon sweater at a thrift store last week that only cost $2.99. It was a tiny bit too small, but I wanted to try changing it into a cardigan as shown on other sewing blogs. After looking at the instructions that others had written, I made a few changes. Here's the original sweater:
I love the detailing...the embroidery, ribbons, tiny beads, and fine crochet on the hems.
Most instructions say to simply cut the sweater down the middle for the first step. I was afraid to do that because the weave looked as though it would totally unravel if it were cut. Instead, I cut two long strips of a coordinating firm knit fabric, 1 1/4 inch wide and two inches longer than the front of the sweater. After careful measuring, I pinned the two strips onto the center front of the sweater with an overlap on the top and bottom.
Next, I sewed each strip onto the fabric with a scant 1/4 inch seam from the center of the sweater, from the bottom up so it would be wide enough to get into it and push away the excess fabric from the back side as I sewed. Only after it was completely sewn down did I take the scissors and cut it apart in the middle between the strips. Boy, I was glad I did those stabilizing seams first...those yarns did want to unravel!
Next, on the inside, I folded up the tape ends on the neckline and hem, then folded the length of the strip to the inside of the sweater, pinning it down carefully. Then with a coordinating thread, I sewed it down from the front side with about a 3/4 inch topstitch seam.
The thread completely disappeared into the weave on the front and can't even be seen!
Finally, on the inside, I carefully cut the excess width of the stabilizing strip next to the stitching. Because it is a firm knit fabric, it will not ravel and needs no extra finishing.
Here's the finished product! It's beautiful and I know I will enjoy wearing it with different outfits. By the way, I love my new boots. They are comfortable and FLAT, which suits me perfectly. Heels and I don't get along. :)








2 comments:
Ohh, la la! YOU look great! And so does the sweater. I want to try this now...
I looks great! I think it was meant to be a cardigan anyway...I like the way it looks with the black dress.
Post a Comment