Yes, I just stole Sarah's post title today, but it's a good one. And if you've got a minute you might like to pop over there and check out Elsie's jack-o-lantern pictures. Oh, how they make me grin.
It was raining this morning, and for the first time in many months, I used an umbrella on my morning walk. Sometimes I held it over my head, and other times I held it out as a shield against the heavy, drippy foliage that is suddenly hanging down low onto the walkways. Yep, it feels like October is here!
We had a marvelous summer, so I'm not worried about the change in the weather. Or the fact that the long-term forcast is almost all showers, showers, showers. One of our neighborhood deer came out of the forest a few moments ago and stared at me as I stood in my kitchen. I stood very still and stared back. Her alert mode eased and she continued through the yard, then hopped up into the neighbor's pasture. Nothing good to eat at my house...ha ha! The deer wander out of the woods much more frequently in the Fall. I love seeing them, and have learned to plant mostly things they don't like to eat so I can just enjoy their gentle, peaceful grace.
The coming rains mean that I can stay indoors and work on projects. I seem to be obsessed with everything crochet lately, which seems so funny because I used to quietly, but never insultingly, poke fun at crocheted items. But here I am, thinking about it all the time and planning little projects of my own to work on. Does it come with age? Have I mellowed so much to finally appreciate old-fashioned handiwork? And want to do it myself? I guess that's what has happened. But with the maturity comes a feeling of contentment, knowing that if I like it and the younger generation smiles indulgently, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm happy with that.
These polka-dot squares will eventually be a throw pillow for my living room. Sixteen different colored dots on a creamy background. Love it. Love the colors, the texture, and the home-i-ness of it. Drip, drip, drip outside my windows, and it's already dark outside. Time to pick up my crochet hook!

2 comments:
Yesterday morning when I greeted my students and commented on the rain, several of them cheered - hooray for rain - these are Oregon kids. Made me smile.
You and Sarah (Maughn) are like-minded:
http://mimiandtheboy.blogspot.com/2011/10/wordless-wednesday.html
Post a Comment