Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Spring Dreams

I gave in to temptation and bought three boxes of bulblets for a springtime display of Anemone. Thirty little promises of color that will come up in March, just when I will need it most. The only place I considered planting them was in the front yard, where I will see them every time I go in and out of the house or driveway. Considering that it will be raining almost non-stop in March, this is the best place for viewing since I won't be wandering around the back yard very often then. On my morning walks through the neighborhood I love seeing all the spring flowers in everyone else's yards, so this will be my contribution to community beautification.

Planting them took more time than I supposed. They needed to go in between the small hedges in front of the porch, however my small hedges had begun to get wild looking, so they needed a haircut. Clip, clip, clip, and now they look trim and tidy. Got all the clippings picked up, then planted the little gems where I wanted them. It was raining. Not that I minded too much, since the rain will water them in nicely, saving me an extra step myself. And our Oregon rain isn't ANYTHING like the rains we encountered on our eastern travels this summer. Nope, no complaints. With the bulblets planted, I was still unsatisfied, so I went to my mulch supply (a pile around the east side of the house) and carted many bucket loads of mulch to pad the entire bed. NOW it looks ready for winter. And Spring will be waiting quietly underground, swelling and putting out roots, getting ready for a month of cheeriness with the spring rains.

There's something extra cozy about a rainy evening in fall. Ken has left early and is gone for the evening, so I will have one of my favorite treats for supper tonight. Homemade wheat bread, spread with a layer of pesto and garlic, and topped with slices of garden tomatoes. Oh, heavenly goodness! Those tomatoes are almost gone, so this will need to be savored. Maybe a little music? Then a little more time with the crochet "dots". Feeling good.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sometimes I try and imagine what a quiet house would sound like...

Dorothy said...

I used to wonder the same thing when I was your age, Sarah. Maybe that's why I savor my quiet time so much now. It's just one of the rewards of surviving parenthood. :)