Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dorothy's Mixed Grain Rolls

Made a pan of rolls today! I rarely make regular loaves of bread anymore, but we do enjoy these whole grain rolls. They are great for dinner, and substantial enough to slice for a sandwich. This is the "recipe" I have developed, which changes slightly from time to time due to what's in my pantry on any given day:

1 cup water
1 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar (or other sweetening)
1 cup cooked oatmeal or any cooked, mixed grain cereal
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp gluten flour
2 1/2 cup wheat flour (sometimes the ratio is higher)
2 cups white flour
Add in sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc., depending on what's in the cupboards on the day you make them! I'm thinking about trying to add sprouts one of these days. :)

I toss all my ingredients, in no particular order, into the Bosch and let it mix and knead. Then I put the dough into an oiled bowl and let it rise: (in the microwave, which has been pre-heated by "cooking" a damp kitchen towel for 2 minutes. You'd be amazed how quickly bread rises in this warm, damp space!) When it has risen (about a half hour or so), I grab off hunks of the dough and shape them into rolls, which rise quickly on a pan, then are baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Excellent!

No comments: