Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Room With a View

This is exactly what I see when I'm laying in bed with my head on the pillow, facing toward the backyard window. Pretty, huh? I can watch the trees sway in the breeze, and the clouds drifting by, and today the sun came out a time or two and it was so bright I had to turn away.

What's wrong with this picture? Me! The Doctor prescribed an anti-biotic yesterday because even though my lungs sound fine, and my ears and throat look good, the sinus problem has lasted much too long, so he is treating it as an infection. I hate taking drugs, but I'm tired of not being able to breathe (or sleep!), so I started taking the doses. I actually slept okay last night (hooray!), but today I've been very woozy...kind of dizzy...so I have spent most of the day in bed trying to sleep it off (I've had a serious sleep deprivation going on that needed attention anyway).

I had a sharp memory of my Dad today. I recalled him being sick with the flu once when I was a teenager, and my normally cheerful father was changed into a miserable, whiny man, who didn't even look like the person I had known all my life. (He wasn't a very good patient, as my Mom could attest to.)Rising one morning to get ready for school, I entered the kitchen to find him sitting at the far end of the table. His hair was wild, but he was enthusiastically enjoying his favorite breakfast of pancakes with syrup and cold chili on the side. He saw me come in, and exclaimed with child-like glee, "I'm Going To Live!!" His delighted declaration brought a smile to my face then, and again today when I thought of it. When my sinuses finally clear, I think I might also need to exclaim to the world, "I'm Going to Live!" If my Dad can hear me, I know he will smile. :)

No comments: