Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oatmeal??

Cooked oatmeal has the tendency to make made me gag. Ken has always liked it, however, so when the kids were young we made it sometimes, and they didn't seem to mind it. For camping trips we almost always had the instant stuff for breakfast...well, everyone but me, of course. I munched on a bagel and was perfectly content. Every now and then (like every ten years) I get the feeling that I should try it again to see if I have "grown up" enough to appreciate this healthy breakfast alternative.

Rachel Ray has a book out called "Yum-O" in which there's a recipe for cooked oatmeal made with old fashioned oats and lots of add-in suggestions that looked pretty good (for oatmeal) in the picture. I made it and added chopped nuts and dried fruits. Just maybe...the added textures could make this palatable for someone like me? As soon as it was done I touched my finger to the mass and tasted. Not a bad flavor, actually...I began to be hopeful. I took a bite and shuddered. Not willing to give up TOO easily, I tried another bite...the gag reflex started to kick in! Honestly, how can I get past the slimey, gooey, sticky texture, even with yummy add-ins? I think from now on I'll just make granola. Same ingredients, but crunchy!

This recipe made a BIG batch (I was really hopeful). The idea was to have it pre-cooked so it can be re-heated in small batches as desired and keep in the fridge for a week. Ugh.

Good thing Ken still likes oatmeal. I've got a "gourmet" batch all ready for him!

No comments: