Friday, April 10, 2009

My first Herb Garden!


All planted and ready to grow! I've got:

African Blue Basil
Sweet Marjoram
Cilantro
Lemon Verbena
Triple Curled Parsley
Hot & Spicy Oregano
(this last one may be a mistake...but I got it because the subtle flavors of herbs don't always announce themselves very well to someone like me who doesn't have a sense of smell...I'm just hoping that it won't be TOO hot?)

I tossed some chopped fresh cilantro in a southwestern dish last night, and Ken said it was good...not overpowering (he's not overly fond of the flavor). I have to admit I didn't notice it, except that the little green bits in the dish looked really pretty. I finally picked a leaf off the plant to chew so that I'd know what flavor I was supposed to be noticing :)

I'm using a self-watering planter from the Garden Patch, in the hopes that the plants can survive on their own for a week or two when we leave on trips (or I forget to water...)

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Looks like a cool planter...maybe I could even grow plants in it without killing them. :) You'll have to update your fans on how it works out.