Monday, April 20, 2009

Patio Builder

While I was gone, Ken was hard at work building a patio in the back yard. He dug the foundation, hauled in 30 wheelbarrow loads of gravel, then 15 of sand. Once that was compacted, rolled and smoothed, he took a couple days off to make the drive out of state to meet our new granddaughter and bring me home. After work today we went together and bought 100 stones, and while I made dinner Ken made 20 trips from the car to the back yard carrying 56 pounds of stone in each trip.

Whew! Time to eat, then out he went again to begin laying the pavers in the sand. There wasn't quite enough to finish the whole project, but we knew that would be the case. It will require another trip later in the week to get the rest.

Is it time to rest? Hardly. Next he got out the lawn mower and took care of the grass that has grown so well in the recent warm weather. THEN he got out his clippers to cut back a little more ivy on the upper terrace "so I can fill the yard debris can".

See the picture of him reclining on the partially finished patio? He's there only because I requested him to pause and "try it out" so I could take a picture. He's back up on the terrace now clipping more ivy, and is planning to try out the lawn chair again as soon as the debris can is full. If he does...I think I may have to wake him up to go to bed. :)



2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Gotta love that second photo! He must have really missed you last week...

Andrew said...

Hey Dad...I wish I was there to help you out!