Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Case of the Giggles

So what do you do when you are at the the Temple and get a case of the giggles?

Tonight, right before I was to go sit in the chapel and wait to take a company of some 25 people to an Endowment session, someone shared a name with me that was funny. I mean the kind of funny that tickles you every time you think of it. I will not repeat the name here out of respect, but it became a serious challenge for me to maintain a "reverent" attitude as I sat in front of this group of men and women who were there to have a peaceful, meaningful spiritual experience. And I was nearly ready to burst with laughter!

My eyes watered, my lips quivered, my face turned red, and I think I may have snorted once, while I desperately tried to maintain a sense of dignity more fitting for the time and place. I stared at the ceiling fixtures, the photos on the walls...anything rather than the person who shared the name with me. Eventually, and without too many people noticing, I got the giggles under control...or at least toned down to a case of the grins.

They often tell us during Temple training meetings to keep a pleasant look on our faces so that the patrons will feel comfortable while they are serving. I didn't have much problem with that tonight. I love being in the Temple. It brings great joy into my life. Sometimes in unusual ways. :)

Here's a picture I snapped of our two little granddaughters who also got caught with the giggles the last time they were here.


1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

I still remember the night - a LONG time ago - when Ellen Skyles and I were serving in a sealing session and got the giggles over a name.

Fanny Bumbles or Buckles or something...what a blessing that "Fanny" isn't a popular name for little girls any more! Maybe someday "Kathy" will turn into a name that sends people into fits of laughter.

I like to hope I'd be grinning right along with them. And I'll bet the individual whose name gave you a giggle last night was smiling along with you, glad to be remembered.