I'm somebody's Sweetheart, somebody's Mom, somebody's Grandma, somebody's Friend, among other titles that I could list. I love those roles, and I know what to expect from them (most of the time). These roles vary as time and experience mold the individual players, but generally I know who I am and how to act.
I have had many other temporary roles in my service at Church. I've been somebody's Teacher, somebody's Counselor, somebody's Leader, somebody's President...lots of titles and assignments that I learned how to act in. I didn't always know what to do, but the calling was mine and with help from others I fulfilled them as best I could.
I'm not sure what my role is now. Ken has been called to serve as a Counselor in the Bishopric of a YSA (Young Single Adult) Ward outside of our Stake. He is assuming a new role with great responsibilities, and I....I'm just there with him. The callings in this Ward will be filled by the YSA's because they are the ones who need the training and experience. So I will attend meetings and activities with lots of young people, and a few new "older" adults that I didn't know before, and I'm not sure what to do with myself.
I looked at my Patriarchal Blessing tonight, and read a few lines that give me a little direction:
"Reach out and touch many for good and be an example to all with whom you come in contact....Sometimes when you touch one, it reaches out until thousands have been touched....Smile and put your arm around your sisters and encourage them in their work."
I suppose this will be my role for now...supporting and encouraging others in their work. That includes my husband (for he feels a heavy load) and the young people learning their responsibilities. It's just....different. I don't actually feel useless, but maybe a little displaced. Which I think will teach me new things about myself, and help me discover another side of who I am.
1 comment:
What a lovely, thoughtful, insightful way to explore this new place in your life. I enjoyed reading your blog today. You made me think. You will be an influence for good in many ways, I am sure.
Post a Comment