Thursday, July 9, 2009

Memories of Carrots and Tomatoes


On a recent road trip we were munching on some baby carrots (click here to read what Snopes says about them) and as usual, I compared it to the BEST CARROT EVER that I had eaten in my youth. Since I have never tasted a carrot as good as the BEST CARROT EVER, these babies didn't even come close.

I experienced that memorable carrot when I was about 14 and walking down the road with my brother Don to meet up with a friend who was going to spend part of the day with us. Ralph arrived carrying a handful of carrots which he said he had just pulled from their garden. I was a very choosy eater, but carrots were on my acceptable list, so I didn't hesitate too much when Ralph offered us one. These carrots were much larger than any I had ever seen in the grocery stores, and I was amazed that they came from a home garden. Because they were so large, I expected that it would be rather "woody" or have a hard core in the middle. Ralph assured Don and I that they were "really good", and we took our first bite...Wow! All the way through it was tender, sweet and juicy from tip to stem! I don't mean just normal carrot-type sweet...these were SWEET. I still remember the pleasure of eating that carrot as we walked home together. It was truly the BEST CARROT EVER, and to this day I have never tasted it's equal, even though I'm always comparing today's carrots with that youthful memory.


The BEST TOMATO EVER was grown in my own home garden over 20 years ago. We purchased about 6 plants from a woman selling them in a little parking lot in town. They grew very well and we enjoyed the most delicious tomatoes from mid-summer to frost. Bright red, medium sized, good slicers and the flavor was mild and sweet. How I enjoyed those tomatoes! These were tomatoes that I would want to grow every year, but I had carelessly tossed the identifying labels at planting time, thinking I would remember what they were. How I have regretted that decision! Many years and many dozen tomato varieties later, just like the carrot, I have never found it's equal. I did learn from that experience, however, and I always mark each plant in my garden with it's label!

I thought I might wrap up my thoughts today with some philosophical musings about vegetables, which would be somehow related to our lives, but have decided otherwise. It is what it is....memories of two favorite vegetables I have enjoyed. Every time I eat a carrot or tomato, I'm always hoping it will be just like the BEST EVER, and when I do find it I will be very giddy. If you're with me then, you will understand.

No comments: