Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Matter of Vision


My Optometrist gave me several new pair of bi-focal contact lenses to experiment with, so for the past week and a half I've been switching around lenses each day and trying to determine which brand will work best for me.

Without my contacts I am very nearsighted, so I have been wearing lenses for years to correct this and I love them! However, my eyesight has changed with the passing of time and it has become necessary for me to use "reading glasses" to do any kind of near work. Lately I've gotten to the point where I cannot see anything close acceptably. I have to find glasses to cook, to read product labels in the store, to cut Ken's hair, to sew, to use my camera,and of course, to read. There are at least a dozen pair of glasses around my home to facilitate any possible closeup activities.

Bi-focal lenses are interesting. They allow me to see fairly well up close, but at the same time I lose the crisp distance vision I am used to. Each brand name lens has a slightly different combination of near and far. My final decision is going to be based on what is easiest to live with every day.

It's a little like the vision in my life. I want to be able to plan for the things that are still far off, and have a good idea of what is coming up, but it's also very important for me to see clearly what's happening right now...today. I don't want to miss any more beautiful details for lack of a pair of glasses! I am reminded of the old Sanskrit proverb:

"Yesterday is a dream, tomorrow but a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore to this day."

After all the trials, I've finally chosen my new lens and will order a year's supply. With them I am able see close enough to read, semi-comfortably, yet there is still enough clear distance vision to please me. Hooray for the scientists who can create vision corrections like these to help make my days more "well-lived"! And now it's time to put away some of those extra reading glasses around the house.... :)

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

When I checked into "bifocal" lenses several years ago, they had me try a lens in one eye - they said my brain would adjust...but I couldn't or wouldn't or just plain didn't, so I'm using my good old "4-eyes" bifocal lenses. So glad to hear there's a better option available for you!