Monday, November 29, 2010

New Diaper Bag

Several weeks ago Sarah sent me an email saying, "I need a new diaper bag!" and a link to this tutorial: Hip Mama Diaper Bag. A few days before she arrived at Thanksgiving, I got started on it. She and Alan chose the color by searching the JoAnn's website and sent me images of their favorite fabrics. I chose one, bought the materials and got started.

The tutorial is very good. I didn't have to stop and wonder what the writer meant at any stage of the project. It goes together easily, but there are many, many pockets and other details that take more time than I thought it would, so I was finishing the bag while Sarah was here. It turned out great! It is lined with a vinyl fabric, making the inside "waterproof", but if I were to do it again I would line it with a regular fabric instead. That vinyl wasn't fun to work with and it's so "crackly"!

Here's a couple pics of the finished product before Sarah stuffed it full:





2 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

1. It looks great! I love all the pockets inside. A diaper bag without pockets is... I don't know... dumb.

2. I am very glad that you were talked into "helping" Sarah make the diaper bag instead of me. :)

3. I have a growing hatred for working with vinyl as well. But I always wait so long in between vinyl projects that I seem to forget just how much I hate it... until I'm doing it again. But it looks like you did a good job at showing the vinyl who's boss.

Hilda said...

Looks great! I've made this same pattern several times and I've always done the lining in cotton. Works much better that way I think, and I've never had any need for my diaper bag to be waterproof!