Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In the Sewing Room

Ken repainted my sewing room a week ago and it looks fantastic. However, before I could sew anything again I had to re-organize the room. When a room gets painted, all the furniture gets piled up or moved, everything comes off the walls and shelves, and, well, then it's just an overwhelming collection of "stuff".

Even though it was a bit of a pain, the re-organizing process was actually a good thing. For instance, I found things that I had forgotten I had! And, truthfully, things had been getting stacked randomly throughout the room because I was too lazy to put them away properly. Being forced to do a good thing is not so bad after all. I feel much more like sewing now that it's all tidy and neat again.

So tonight was a three pillowcase night. I am making fun pillowcases for all the grandkid birthdays this year, and since we will be traveling when three of the birthdays happen this summer, now was the time to get them ready. One is for a little guy who likes dogs, one is for a boy who likes bees, and one is for a sweet little thing who likes ladybugs. Shhhh....don't tell them, okay?

These pillowcases are so easy to make and they turn out classy and beautiful. I use the "magic pillowcase" method which was first taught to me by Geniel a few years back. (Thanks, Geniel!) However, if I wait too long between sewing them, I usually need a quick refresher course of how they are done, so then I hop over to This Blog, which has a great tutorial.  Just browsing through the fabric store is half the fun, looking over the amazing collection of printed cottons. It can be difficult to decide, so knowing ahead of time what the little ones like is very helpful. It feels good to be sewing a little something again. :)

2 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

They look really cute. Our kids love the pillowcases their grandmas have made for them.

Kathy Haynie said...

Those are great fabrics. I went to the other blog and got confused by the directions. I would love to watch you make one some time.