Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Apples on a Red Box

I didn't think I would take time to paint today. There were enough other things on my "to do" list, but when I saw these lovely organic apples sitting in my apple basket, I'm sure they were saying, "Paint me, Paint me!" So I carried them into the studio, set them on a red box with a light overhead, and created their portrait. Apples on a Red Box.

Pastels can be used as a sketching or drawing medium, but generally, whenever they are used to cover an entire surface, in layers, they are considered paintings. Artist-grade pastels are made of the very same pigments as oils or watercolors, but they have a different binder to produce the sticks. They are pure color, which is one reason I find them fascinating. The other plus, at least from my point of view, is that they are instantly ready to work whenever I am. Clean up is minimal...dust off the pastel and put it back in the container. The more I use them, the more I like them. I have lots to learn, but it's fun, so I'm not going to complain.

No comments: