Monday, February 9, 2009

Kill Devil Hills

Isn't that a great name for a town? That's where we are staying for the week, with a room right on the beach. (Which seems WAY too close to me, but that's where all the buildings are...sheesh.)

It was a long day of driving (just ME, folks!), but we arrived safely and only had to do one or two detours...once to go back to a place to eat, and another to avoid a toll road. Good thing I was driving, as Dad really had to study out the map to decide which way he wanted to go! Our plan for the week is to explore the Outer Banks area off the coast of North Carolina. We picked a great week...it's going to be in the upper sixties for daytime highs! (Hey, it's February...that sounds wonderful to me!) The hotel had a great three day package rate (because it's off-season) but when we asked, they gave us the same price for an extra day, so we won't be heading back to Andrew's until Friday.

Anyway, for the curious, here's a little map of the Outer Banks area.



As long as the internet holds up, I'll update with our explorations during the week. (Internet was a little flaky to start...hopefully it will be stable.) Didn't do much this afternoon...walked the beach, explored the town a little, and went out to eat.


Pictures for the day: Yep, I'm the full time driver for this car. Ken finds it a little "different", but I think he actually likes more time to look at his map and the things out the window. Plus, it's good for me, too, for the experience (I can't believe I just said that).

Here's the Atlantic Ocean, just outside the back door.

Checking it out. Looks a lot like the western coast, except the sun is in the wrong place when evening falls!


The next door neighbors.

Score! Us on the beach trying to pretend like we aren't taking our own picture.



No comments: