Thursday, February 19, 2009

Their Eyes Were Watching God

By Zora Neale Hurston
I finished this book today, after reading most of it during the extended airport and airline time Wednesday. What a fantastic read! I loved the writing style, which is a little bit difficult at first since it uses African American dialect of the south in the 1920's. Sometimes I had to rehearse the conversations out loud to "hear" what was being said!

"Ah don't mean to bother wid tellin' 'em nothin', Pheoby. 'Tain't worth de trouble. You can tell 'em what I say if you wants to. Dat's just de same as me 'cause mah tongue is in mah friend's mouf."

It's a good story of a woman's life and self-discovery, but mostly I loved the beautiful language. The narrative writing that sets the story is in perfect English and easy to read, though it is much more than that...it is almost poetry. Thoughtful and exquisite.

"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time."

No comments: