How about Keys in a Leafpile?
Picture this: Grandma and Grandpa on their hands and knees in the yard, carefully sifting through an entire pile of leaves that is ten feet wide and three feet deep. Oh, and it's almost dark, too. Got it?
After visiting with the kids yesterday afternoon, we were saying our fond goodbyes when Ken gave me a very concerned look and asked if I had the car keys. Or were they still in the car? No, to both questions, and we both realized at the same moment the only place they could possibly be: Silly Grandpa had spent a fair amount of time that day rolling around with the little ones in the biggest mound of leaves available!
Knowing there was only one thing we could do, Erika handed us a flashlight and out we went to sift through the leaves. Even I had to smile at how funny that must have looked as we carefully searched through that pile, but my smile had faded by the time we were nearly through the whole mound and nothing had been found. At last, Ken paused and said, "Look", and sure enough, there they were.
You know, I almost lost hope there, and when the keys were eventually discovered, the phrase "endure to the end" had another new meaning to me. I'm glad we didn't give up. Driving home that evening (after another round of fond goodbyes) I felt so grateful to be seated in that moving car....and I was smiling again.
4 comments:
Glad you found your keys! Also, that is a very pretty picture of the leaves.
Ha! Endure to the end of the snow piles with the canoe paddle too, right? :)
Did you take the leaf/key photo for reals, or did you pose it later??
Unfortunately, we didn't have a camera with us. I knew when we were driving home that I would want to blog this story, so Ken helped me set up a quick photo shoot with the keys in our own backyard leaves. :)
Ha ha - I thought so! Great photo & post, and I am so proud of you and Ken for finding the keys.
Post a Comment