Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Please Share your Favorite!


I checked this interesting book out from the library a few days ago and have been thinking about it constantly. Each page is written by a different person who tells about a children's book that has had an impact in their lives. It's amazing that so many books that seemed "just okay" to me were so powerful to someone else. Now I have a whole new list of books I'd like to explore again or for the first time. I have to admit that I haven't read the whole book yet, but just turning the pages and skimming each "book report" has been thoroughly entertaining!

Naturally, I started thinking about all the children's books I have read and which ones meant a lot to me. My goodness, I didn't realize how much thinking that would take! I've read SO MANY children's books, not only as a child, but as an adult...I love the children's section of the library! Anyway, here's one I decided to share as a favorite: "Enchantress From the Stars" by Sylvia Engdahl. I've read this several times because the characters and story touch me deeply somehow.

Now I'm curious about all of you! After you read this will you please leave a comment and tell me what children's book you have particularly enjoyed? I'd really love to know!

6 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Oooh that is tough. Just a few children's books? Not a list of hundreds? Hmm. Trying to think of just one makes my mind go blank. I am going to have to think about this and get back to you.

Sarah said...

I don't know what mine is... I'll have to think about it. But when we were thinking of books to check out for Elsie, I asked Alan what his favorite (or most memorable) book from his childhood was and he immediately said "Big Al!!" So there you go. Big Al by Andrew Clements.

Beth said...

I like Where the wild things are. Having never read it I stood in Barns and Noble and read the whole thing. It was short sweet and pretty creative.

Kathy Haynie said...

YA literature - "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle. I read it sooo many times. Read all of her YA books in my teens, and loved them all. I identified with the main characters.

As a younger reader, I really loved "The Boxcar Children." That was before it became a series, when there was just the one book. Another favorite was "The Secret Garden." Read that one a bunch of times, too.

And who could forget Nancy Drew. I had a huge set of those books, and reread them all.

Katie Lewis said...

I think I would have to go with The Little House On the Prairie series as well as the Chronicles of Narnia. They both have great stories and wonderful lessons. As for picture books, one of my favorites is Sitti's Secrets by Namoi Shehab Nye.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Hard to say which ones had the biggest influence, but I loved the Anne of Green Gables series, Little House on the Prairie, and The Boxcar Children. I also remember my mom reading Betsy Tacey books to me...maybe I should check them out and read them to Katie.

Anyway, if you're interested in finding good quality children's books with fun activities to do with your grandkids, I really love reading http://littlepageturners.blogspot.com/ She does several books a week with fairly easy activities and so far all the ones we've checked out from the library and tried with the kids have been big hits.