Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thanks, Tricia!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Because Tricia read it and reviewed it for us, I decided to put a hold on this book and read it myself. I'm so glad I did! I stayed up late last night finishing it...I just didn't want to wait another day to find out how it ended. Not that I couldn't have guessed what was going to happen, but I wanted to know how the AUTHOR would make it all come together. The story was delightful, even though that seems to be the wrong word choice since the story was loosely about the German occupation of the island of Guernsey during World War II. Some of the experiences that were discussed were hard to bear. What brings the story alive is people who lived through it...and they are delightful! By the end of the book I was wishing all these people could be MY friends, too. Good choice, Tricia. Thank you!

5 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Katie's sister-in-law, Anna Lewis, just posted about this book on her blog, too! Guess I need to put it on hold.

Cindy said...

I need a good distracting book right now. I will also be putting it on hold.

Katie Lewis said...

You're the second person I've heard loved this book (Anna being the first), so perhaps I'll suggest it as a book for book club tonight.

Katie Lewis said...

P.S. You have won an award on my blog. Come on over and check it out.

http://notesfromaveryredkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/11/lauren-loves-me.html

:)

Geniel said...

I look forward to reading this as well.