Sunday, November 8, 2009

To Hike or Not to Hike

While lying in bed this morning, my thoughts drifted to the day before and I realized I wanted to blog about it. Imagine my surprise when I checked my daily computer stuff and saw that my friend Kathy had the very same thoughts I did!

Ken and I had talked all week about going for a hike on Saturday. We knew it was going to be rainy/stormy here all weekend, but we had planned to drive further east and find a trail to explore that would be in the "rain shadow". When the day actually arrived, we did nothing of the sort. We needed a Local Day.

A Local Day is when we take care of things at home and around town. Here's our list of activities:

Morning walk with Paulene
Laundry
Raking Leaves
Trying out a diabetic muffin recipe for Grandma
Making bread rolls for ourselves
Going to Bob's Red Mill for interesting grains & such
Stopping at Fred Meyer for a computer cord, bananas, gas, a nutcracker, and new shoes
Prowling at the library for interesting books and magazines
Refreshing our memories about sprouting, and starting some wheat to soak
Cleaning up after ourselves in the kitchen
Puttering around in my sewing room, fine-tuning a pattern
Practicing the keyboard and ocarina
Watching some funny youtube videos together
Reading

And meanwhile, it rained off and on all day long.

When I was a teenager I used to have a quote on my wall that I wish I could remember or even find again. Basically it said to be grateful for normal days, because there would come times in our lives when we would be so frantic that we would wish for their return. Yesterday was like that. It was a very normal day, and it was thoroughly satisfying. (insert deep pleasant sigh here.)


3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

That is one impressive list of things to do on a Saturday! I haven't sprouted wheat in forever...good idea...

I didn't mention in the post that Mark finished his newest "Wheel of Time" book, and that I worked on two short essays...but we took our time on our Play Day, and didn't feel like we were panting every moment.

I know exactly what you mean about normal days. We have had so many off-kilter days lately, that one evening last week (Tuesday? Wednesday?) I commented to Mark how nice it was that we just had "a day." Not a long day or a stressful day or a difficult day, or even a particularly fun day...just a day.

Katie Lewis said...

Oh Freddies, how I would love to spend a Saturday with you! There is no "one stop shopping" around here. And it has taken me a long time to figure out where to buy things around here that I know their exact location of in Fred Meyer. I miss it dearly.

Kate said...

Impressive list. What's a ocarina? I decided to make something from our food storage at least once a week. Wheat grinder came out of storage, :) I miss Bob's