Sunday, January 24, 2010

First Class Follow-up


Me, at the Ward library: "Do you have any pictures of puppies?"
Her: "Poppies?"
Me: "No, PUPPIES, as in little dogs?"
Her: "Well, I don't know....let me look..."

After ten minutes of diligently searching, during which time I was starting to feel guilty for asking, she came up with this adorable MormonAd! The poster went on display in my classroom and I know the YSA's were wondering when I would get around to applying the message in the poster. Finally I told them I brought the poster because a friend suggested that puppies would "make them smile" and that another friend had written lately about the bumper sticker: "More wagging, less barking", and I thought it was good to remember for all relationships. It worked, Katie. They were all smiling. :)

There are ten very well educated, bright, articulate young adults in my class. I must admit that after the prayer was given and all ten faces were watching me quietly to see what would happen next, I felt rather intimidated. But we started off with a game to refresh their memories about the Proclamation on the Family, and things went fine. They are amazing young people, and they've heard it all, but as Lisa suggested, I brought in a few personal stories which they seemed very interested in. They were kind. And they smiled. And they participated very well.

I'm glad the first class is over. Now I know who's attending, and what to expect from the group (sort of) and the other lessons ought to be much easier to approach. And Julia, the jello lesson may very well be included very soon. Thanks for the support and the ideas!

PS: The kids all thought my discription of our "saturday activities" sounded very nice. The girls like the Waltzing part, and the guy thought it was great that we played with the Wii. :)

4 comments:

JuliaKoponick said...

I am glad that the class went so well! It sounds like you did what any good teacher does. You prayerfully prepared, listened to suggestions from friends and the Spirit, and made sure to make you class as fun as possible, for you and your students.

I almost wish I could go, just to be there for the jello again. Maybe you can invite me to come that day. :-)

Katie Lewis said...

Haha. Glad they liked the puppies. Nothing like a strange tie in to captivate somebody's attention. :) Also, I think it's funny that it was all girls and one guy. So singles ward typical. Haha. Glad it went well!

Dorothy said...

One guy? Oops that was a typo and should have been plural. I actually had five and five, so it was equal. So the line should have read, "the guys..." Sorry!

Kathy Haynie said...

Good for you, Dorothy! I'm sure it will be a rewarding class, and it sounds like the teacher will learn as much as the students. Funny that you used the "more wagging, less barking." :)