Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Girl of the Limberlost

By Gene Stratton Porter

I was a young newlywed when I read this book for the first time. We had just moved to a cute little rental cottage on 5 acres in Olympia, Washington, and our landlords lived next door. Maxine knew I had time on my hands and that I enjoyed reading, so she offered me A Girl of the Limberlost to read. How I loved it!

Then my life got busy with the gradual addition of five children and many moves from state to state. I thought of the book often, but all I could remember was that it was a story about a girl who collects moths. Then a few months ago I found a copy of the book at our local Goodwill and I knew that I needed to add it to my bookshelves at home. Finally, after nearly 36 years, I have finished reading it again.

What a great story to curl up with on dreary, cool days! It was so easy to get "lost" in the forests with Elnora Comstock as she hunted for the moths and other beautiful things in nature to sell and pay her own way through school. Her young life was filled with disappointment, embarassment, and misfortune, but she bravely and sweetly overcame the challenges placed before her.

The first part of the book deals with the hardships of the relationship (or lack of) that Elnora has with her mother and the struggles of trying to get an education in rural Indiana in the early 1900's, and the second portion of the story tells of a wonderful friendship with a young man who eventually wins her heart. While weaving her tale, the author lovingly paints verbal pictures of the beautiful landscape that almost make you feel as if you were walking along each woodland trail with Elnora.

Though the book tells of constant heartaches and trials for young Elnora, it never leaves you miserable because this young heroine always finds a way to gracefully triumph over adversity. She constantly displays characteristics of honesty, determination, loyalty, and goodness. She is everything I would want to be!

If you need an escape to nature, a return to virtue, or a sweet love story, here is a book to try!

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

I love this book, too. Be sure to read "Freckles" - I have a copy if you'd like to borrow.

And what a nice book review. I should show this to my students as a good example of how to do it right.