Thursday, June 24, 2010

Unexpected Casualty

Here on the property Ken likes to keep things clear near the trailer. Today while working, he prepared to saw up a medium size pine tree that had fallen during our absence. He noticed that there was a bird's nest in the branches and rather than toss the remains, he cut off the section of the tree that had the nest, dug a small hole, and planted it and replaced the eggs in the nest.


On this trip I brought along a set of 40 year old oil pastels that I had never really used much. The nest tree stump looked like an interesting still life, so I tried my hand at color sketching...something I haven't done in way too many years. I rather enjoyed the process, and I'm even brave enough today to share the results. )

Having a lovely time. The sun is shining and it's 80 degrees!

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, I am glad you are drawing again! Did the robins hatch?

Dee said...

This turned out absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Dorothy said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll be drawing more soon. I've been thinking about it more and more which means it is time to do something about it.:)

Kathy, one of the robin eggs was punctured, one was an "empty", and the third one feels full, but I think it was probably abandoned by the mother. Don't know how long that tree had been lying on the ground before Ken found it.