We don't plan to go back to the way we used to eat!
We eat “mostly” Vegan now, with a few cross-overs to simple Vegetarianism when we are in the company of others or when there are very few choices available and we are hungry! Just last week we crossed that line again and wished we hadn't.
We were coming home late and decided to stop and pick up a Vegetarian pizza to bake when we arrived. When it was ready we looked at all the melting cheeses mingled with (not enough) vegetables and had second thoughts. However, we ate it anyway because we paid for it, and we were hungry. It was not a pleasant experience for either of us. That cheese settled very heavily into our stomachs and I felt for a while that I might even be nauseous, but thankfully that didn't happen. We both agreed that we would not want to have something like that for a meal again if we could avoid it.
What effect has this style of eating had on us physically? Not as much as you might think! I wish I could say that I have lost weight and feel better than I ever had in my life, but that wouldn't be true. Actually, I feel the same as I have always felt. Of course it is important to know that we have always tried to be active and make good food choices, so not eating meat and dairy hasn't made a huge difference in the way our bodies feel. The most noticeable thing is that our meals sit lighter inside us. We don't get a heavy, stuffed feeling anymore, and we like that. Oh wait, I just remembered one thing: I have been much less congested this winter and spring than I ever have before, and that has been wonderful!
The biggest change I have noticed is more like an increased sense of spirituality and healthy emotional response to the world around me. I feel “lighter” in a way that is kind of like releasing a burden that has been carried for a long time. I feel at peace. I am happy.
We had pizza again last night, and this time it was great! In this version I used spelt flour (for more protein) in my traditional crust recipe and then layered the pizza with a spicy tomato sauce, spinach, onions, peppers, and mushrooms. We didn't miss the cheese at all. :)
1 comment:
Yummy! I'm so glad this change is working well for you. Mark and I find that we rarely eat meat any more, and we don't miss it at all. But are you sure you were able to eat all of that delicious pizza? You probably needed a couple of friends to come help you eat all that food...
:)
Post a Comment