Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bruised Knees and Bonding

It hurts, but I'm still giggling about it. My bruised knees that is...or at least how it happened. Let me tell you, being a Grandma is not a job for sissies!

I was holding Elsie so we could look out the living room window and watch a fellow ride by with his motorized bike. When he went out of sight I turned to run into the kitchen where another window would let us continue watching his passing. I only made it a couple of steps when something grabbed my ankle and since I was holding Elsie, it was impossible to recover my balance in time. We fell straight down onto the kitchen floor, but being a good Grandmother, I made sure to protect the child in my arms from impact. I landed hard on both knees and one elbow, since my other arm was clutching Elsie to my chest.

What was so funny to me was the look of surprise on Elsie's face when we ended up on the floor together. She wasn't hurt, and didn't even cry, but I'm sure she wondered why I performed that stunt instead of going to the other window as planned.

Both Sarah and Alan were here at the time to witness my unusual athletic event, so it was even more embarassing to have performed so "gracefully" for them. Sigh.

What tripped me? My own laptop computer cord, of course. No one's fault but my own. My knees and elbow are skinned and bruised and puffy, but they will recover. It was a little difficult, however, to do "Ring around the Rosie" over and over with Elsie insisting that I go all the way DOWN each time!

Other than that, our day has been calm and sweet. Elsie adores her new little sister and I adore watching them begin to bond with one another. Totally worth a few bruises to be here for that. :)


3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, ouch. I am so sorry. You are right about these adorable little girls, but still...ouch!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to falling with a babe in your arms. That is how I broke my foot several years ago. I'm glad you are all right.

My goodness, Alice has so much gorgeous hair. My kids and grandkids are all so bauld.

They are both adorable.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and of course, I protected my granddaughter, too, and carefully laid her on the pavement when we fell. She didn't cry either, but was very surprised to find out we were on the ground. She had been sleeping.