Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Photo Project: Day 10

I'm ten days into my 30 day photo project, and what I've discovered so far is that suddenly EVERYTHING looks interesting! My biggest challenge is not finding subject matter, but it is having to decide on only ONE for each day. Today I am posting early so that there are fewer pictures to choose from!. When I saw this great old red truck this morning, I stopped in my tracks. I KNEW it had to be one of my photos of the day.

Seeing this truck reminded me so much of a truck my Dad had when we were kids. We took long camping road trips in that old truck and all 6 of us would sleep inside. In the canopy Dad attached a plywood bed frame, with an attached "bench". At night Mom and Dad slept on the plywood bed (with a mattress!), I slept on the bench, one brother slept in the cab of the truck, and my other two brothers rolled their sleeping bags out underneath the bed and the dog joined them. It was cozy, but it worked, and we didn't have to set up a tent each night. Dad often pulled over in the most random, secluded places along some roadside in the evening...he didn't wait to find a campground...he made his own.

During the long drives the four of us kids (and one dog) rode in the canopy. There wasn't much of a view, so we read, played games, or slept. When we needed to talk to Mom and Dad, we banged on the windows separating the canopy and cab, and hoped they would eventually hear or see us, then we wrote notes for them to read through the window. We traveled thousands of miles that way...is that what we call "the good old days"?

I wonder what memories this old red truck has for it's owners?

Old Red

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

I like the memories even better than the photo! I can just see everyone tucked in for the night.