Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Things Look Different

Okay, I may be rushing the season a bit, but it was time to update my blog header. Last Fall I dug up my huge Bleeding Heart and cut it into five pieces with a saw. Yep, I just turned over the rootball and started sawing, then I planted the pieces in four different places while keeping one piece in the original spot. While looking around the yard today I noticed that every single one of them is coming up nicely and since I am anticipating those gorgeous blooms NOW, it didn't seem so wrong to add it to the top of my blog today instead of a few weeks later.

When I say, "Things look different", I am referring to more than my blog header. We were only gone for a week, but as I walked through the house and yard yesterday when we arrived, it seemed like "things were different". But they weren't. Oh, how to explain it? Everything is the same as when I left, but....different. The very air feels different.... lighter, brighter, and maybe purer? And since it's cloudy outside as usual, I can't claim any sunshine as the reason. There seems to be more sky than before. That's silly, because we live surrounded by trees that make some people feel claustrophobic.

I think....maybe....it's a sense of freedom and limitless possibilities that I feel in the air here at home. I love, love, love my grandchildren and spending time with them is pure joy, but let's face it, taking care of young children full-time is a huge and seemingly un-ending responsibility. I know. I've been there. Spending a week with charming Elsie and Alice reminded me of what it used to be like for me not so many years ago.

Hang in there, young mothers! Your work with your family is vitally important and the sacrifices are absolutely worth it...and someday the very air you breathe will be the sweeter for it. Trust me on this one. :)


1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Ditto. :)

It's good to visit the family, and it's GOOD to be home again.