Here are the results of sprouting Adzuki Beans. These took several days to sprout. After the 24 hour soak period, I keep them in a large plastic colander covered with a damp cloth, and rinse them a couple times a day in the sink. They are fun to munch on raw, and we'll use a lot of them in a big salad tonight. They can also be used in soups, etc, just like normal.
Here are some sprouted Garbanzo Beans (or Chickpeas). After soaking I kept them in one of my big glass vases and rinsed twice a day. They sprouted in about two days. I almost got carried away tasting these babies...they are sweet and nutty...and so healthy!
I decided to make another batch of Hummus. Last time I used canned, cooked beans, but this time I used the raw sprouted bean. This is the recipe I tried, which I found on the internet:
1 cup sprouted garbanzo beans
1 Tbsp. Tahini (puree of sesame seeds)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 tsp no-salt seasoning blend
Into the food processor it went....and I quickly discovered that it was too thick to mix properly, so I added small amounts of water to improve the consistency. Here's how it looks so far:
I wanted it to be creamier, so I scooped it out and put it in the blender instead. This worked a LOT better, and I ended up with a much smoother Hummus. I didn't take another picture, so you'll have to trust me on this one.
Ken enjoys eating Hummus with crackers...I prefer using my pitas or flat breads. Either way, it's great. Next time I'm going to try cutting back on the fats and see what happens.
2 comments:
I think I'll try some of these ideas when I have a little more kitchen space...
I generally make hummus in the blender when I do it from scratch. I don't like all the salt in canned garbanzo beans, so maybe I will try this next time I want to make it fresh.
Post a Comment