I've gotten hooked on crochet hooks lately, which is almost funny because too many times in my life I have looked at crochet projects and smirked. While I still believe there are some things that should never be crocheted (okay, I've seen lots of bad examples), I have nevertheless found myself enjoying the charm and usefulness of some crochet items.
At a holiday bazaar this year I saw lots of washcloths, sponges, hot pads, etc.that were crocheted from cotton yarrns and I decided to give it a try. So far, my favorite home projects have been kitchen sponges and facial puffs, two items that I used to buy and throw away after using. I'm happy that these are washable and reuseable!
The kitchen sponge I like to make is worked as a long rectangle in a textured single crochet, then I fold it onto itself and bind the other three edges together, so it is a double thickness sponge. I made several of them so that after a day or two of use, I can toss it in the laundry and get out a fresh one. They work well and are soft to the touch.
My other favorite is the little facial puff. Isn't it cute? I keep a pile of them next to the sink in the bathroom and after using one for facial cleaning, I often do a quick wipe-down around and in the sink if necessary, then drop the used puff into the laundry basket. After laundering, the shape isn't quite as perfect as fresh off the hook, but the usefulness is undiminished. I really like using them!
I've also tried a couple washcloth patterns, but haven't come up with a favorite yet. And I'm not sure I like the bulkiness of the crochet for a washcloth, anyway. Terry cloth seems more practical and familiar for washcloth purposes.
If my grandma Jenny knew about this new hobby of mine, she would be tickled. (That's a word she always used to say!) Grandma crocheted all kinds of things in her lifetime and a few of her efforts ended up in my household years ago. I'm sorry, Grandma, but I probably smirked at a few of them. That's why I have to smile at myself for dragging out the yarn and hooks and creating my own little homey projects. I love looking at crochet magazines and even have an account on Ravelry, where I have spent hours looking at the endless possibilities! It's okay, Grandma, you can laugh out loud if you want.

2 comments:
I think I should bring some yarn and hooks to Sparks Lake this summer, and maybe you can teach me to make some of these cute & useful things.
These are great! I've made washcloths before, but I've liked them about as much as you say you do. The idea of sponges seems like a much better idea. And I love that you can throw them in the wash instead of having to throw them away like regular sponges. Thanks for sharing Dorothy!
Post a Comment