Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday Bliss

That's what we get when it's a day off for both of us and we don't have any other committments. We enjoyed an un-planned day of walks (one for fun, and the other to the grocery store), household putterings, reading, and even a little yard work. What a nice day it was! A perfect calm day with no rain...can't ask for more than that for a January day in Oregon.

We decided it was time to get the snowball bush pruned, and while we were at it, several other shrubs that were nearby. Ken wanted to fill the debris can and we certainly accomplished that in a short time. Here's the newly pruned snowball bush. Poor thing is half the size of when I started, but I'm not worried...it will fill out nicely this spring.


However, when Ken decides to prune something, it's a little doubtful. This is the result of his last "pruning": the maple tree in the parking strip in front of the house!


Honestly, though, it really did have to go. The roots were running under the sidewalk and causing it to heave up dramatically. We didn't want to have to replace the sidewalk, so we sacrified the tree. I've got plans for a couple young dogwood trees as replacements this spring. :)


1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

The snowball bush looks like it's reaching for the sky - a dramatic photo. :) When you purchase your dogwood trees, I would love to know. I planted one a couple of years ago, but it has never done well. The nursery told us it was a Chinese dogwood - don't know if that's not the right kind to get, or I'm doing something else wrong. Just thinking it might be time to try again.